A workplace accident can have a dramatic effect on your business, so you need to be proactive in promoting workplace health and safety (WHS)!
Know your WHS obligations
Safe Work Australia oversees the legally binding WHS laws that are in each state or territory. Creating a safe work environment is a legal requirement. It’s important for business owners to take WHS seriously to avoid injury in the workplace.
As a business owner, you must:
- provide safe work premises
- assess risks and implement suitable measures for controlling them
- ensure safe use and handling of goods and substances
- provide and maintain safe machinery and materials
- assess workplace layout and provide safe systems of work
- provide a suitable working environment and facilities
- have workers’ compensation insurance for your employees.
Find lots of useful resources and publications, such as fact sheets, posters, national standards and statistics on the Safe Work Australia website.
- Find out more about workplace health and safety.
- Watch safety seminars online at Safe Work Australia.
originally published: https://www.business.gov.au/news/safety-in-the-workplace